Frequently Asked Questions
1) How can I join the ISOS programme ?
Doctoral Candidates in any discipline of marine sciences in Kiel can take part in our doctoral programme.
Find all information and applyation form here.
2) Are there any compulsory requirements at the ISOS?
Yes. Advisory Committee Meetings once a semester are compulsory. You are responsible for scheduling and preparation of the meeting and for submitting the protocol once a semester. More information
All other aspects are voluntary.
3) How do I choose my additional supervisors?
Speak to your primary supervisor and together choose one or several persons who will substantially contribute to your project. Co-supervisors may come from the university or from outside (e.g. NGOs, governmental agencies etc.) and ideally introduce a new perspective to your project. They can change as the project evolves.
4) What if I need courses that are not offered?
If you cannot find what you need or have an idea for an event or course, contact us directly, we develop many of our offers “on demand”.
5) Will ISOS fund my salary and research?
No. Your salary and research is paid by the working group/ institute/ project you are employed by.
Here you can find open positions.
6) Will I get my Doctoral Degree from the ISOS?
No. Doctoral degrees are issued by the faculties. As an ISOS candidate you remain anchored in your faculty for all formal regulations.
Rules for graduation differ between faculties; please inform yourself at your faculty.
7) Which structures at Kiel University are relevant for me?
- The ISOS programme is the programme for all doctoral candidates in marine sciences in Kiel. We offer you courses, travel support and support throughout your doctorate - with the focus on the marine community.
- You will obtain your doctoral degree from your faculty and you will have to comply with their rules.
- As an international candidate you can get help with e.g. insurances, housing, visa,… from the International Center. Together with the Graduate Center they also offer qualification opportunities and activities.
- To use the offers from the Graduate Center (a structure for the whole doctoral community at Kiel University) you have to register separately through their homepage.