During the first phase, four research platforms were established:
- Numerical Simulation and Data Management
- Isotope and Tracer Analysis
- High-Throughput Molecular Bioscience
- Ocean Observatories.
In Phase II two platforms will be added: Data and Information Management and a Behavioral Studies Experimental Platform for the social sciences. In addition, centrally organized science support will cover the areas of:
- International Cooperation
- Outreach and Knowledge Exchange
- Education and Career Advancement
- Project Acquisition and Support.