In 2011 the Center for Sino-German Cooperation in Marine Sciences (SGMS) was founded jointly by the Ocean University of China (OUC) in Qingdao, Kiel University (CAU), the Helmholtz-Centre for Ocean Research Kiel (GEOMAR), the University of Bremen and the Leibniz Center for Tropical Marine Ecology (ZMT). The establishment of the SGMS expands on the Sino-German Initiative on Marine Sciences funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China (MOE) under which the partners have been cooperating closely since 2004.
Center for Sino-German Cooperation in Marine Sciences (SGMS)
The SGMS strives to continuously enhance cooperation in marine sciences between the partner institutions of both countries in the areas of higher education, research and development. There are currently three SGMS offices: in Kiel, Bremen and Qingdao. The SGMS head office in Qingdao is hosted by the Key Laboratory of Physical Oceanography at the OUC.
Main activities of the SGMS include:
• interdisciplinary education of master’s students designed as an English language international study course
• annual summer schools and workshops
• joint supervision of doctoral candidates
• advisory and consultancy services for establishment of research collaborations between both countries
• exchange of guest scientists for joint teaching and research
• implementation of an Alumni-Network
The Ocean University of China (OUC) in cooperation with the Sino-German Center for Cooperation in the Marine Sciences (SGMS) is offering financial support for short-term visits in Qingdao. For more information please see the flyer.